[Unitree Go2] How to save LiDAR data

Currently, I own a Unitree Go2 EDU and I am able to establish wireless communication with ROS2 Humble. I can visualize the LiDAR topic, but my goal is to output the point cloud data file. Since this is my first time working with LiDAR, I am unsure how to convert the topic data into a file format. For example, I would like to output the map obtained by LiDAR as a point cloud data file and display it in Blender. If anyone has knowledge of how to do this, I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you in advance.

It seems that converting point cloud data from topics to file formats when using a wired connection is possible, according to my research. However, I feel that the LiDAR data for Unitree Go2’s WebRTC is voxelized, and it may not be possible to receive raw data. Is there any way to save raw data wirelessly?

Dear @ume0315,

It seems that converting point cloud data from topics to file formats when using a wired connection is possible, according to my research. However, I feel that the LiDAR data for Unitree Go2’s WebRTC is voxelized, and it may not be possible to receive raw data. Is there any way to save raw data wirelessly?

Saving wirelessly the PCD is a bad idea. I would suggest that you record the data via ros2 bags. Then once done you can send it over the wifi ensuring no data points are lost. If you really want to see the the data over the network, you would have to modify the cyclone dds XML in the Go2 so that It can reach your target PC, however, depending on the WiFi module, it will cut a lot.

Since this is my first time working with LiDAR, I am unsure how to convert the topic data into a file format.

You can convert it if saved via a ros2 bag using GitHub - AIT-Assistive-Autonomous-Systems/ros2bag_tools: Tool extensions for ros2bag cli

Thank you for your response. As expected, it seems difficult to handle PCD in real time over wireless. I appreciate the suggestion of alternative methods as well. I will try experimenting with various approaches.

Since my knowledge of ROS2 is limited, I would like to ask for more details.
Regarding the suggestion you made, is it correct to assume that the idea is to record the LiDAR topic within the Unitree Go2’s docking station using ros2bag, and then, after the experiment, send the ros2bag file to an external PC via WiFi?

Yes that is correct.

Thanks to your help, I was able to output the point cloud data and check it in Blender and pcl_viewer, allowing me to move on to the next step.