[Unitree A1] NVIDIA NX does not boot

Hello,

we encountered another problem in which the NVIDIA NX does not boot properly.

It is showing the logo but then falls back to this screen:

What is the issue here?

Dear @Martin,

Please give detailed steps as to how this occurred. Was this behavior present before? Are you able to ssh into Nvidia?

Hi @Sohail,

it has never happend before and it is most likely because of the

sudo apt-get upgrade

command, as this was one of the last ones that has been used.

By now the screen looks like this and nothing had been done except turning the system on and off:

Yes, the NX can be reached and logged in from the Pi.

Regards

Martin

Ahhh ok now I know what the problem is, please note that you should never upgrade the NX as there is a usually independent procedure to that (and can sometimes brick the system), and should be performed by an expert. This problem is independent of the A1 and pertains to the Nvidia NX only.

There is one of two ways to deal with it, first being to reinstall nx original GUI drivers or the alternate GUI such as the lightdm (recommended). The second is by reinstalling the NX itself.

Regards,
S. O. Sohail

Alright, thank you @Sohail.

This information will be given to all that work with the NX in the future.

Do you have any guide on how to reinstall the the GUI drivers, especially for the NX System?

There isn’t a proper guide available for this, it is a lengthy process that I do not remember completely. You may refer to the Nvidia forums as they can guide you better in this.

For my own use case, I entered into the terminal and reinstalled the lightdm gui and it solved my issues. I had to disable the static connection to connect to the internet as well.

In worst case scenario you may have to reinstall the Nvidia OS itself, however, that will not effect the A1 except that you just have to reinstall the Intel Depth sensor driver and put the connection to 192.168.123.12.

1 Like

@Sohail,

thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately, simply installing the lightdm gui did not work for me.
The problem was caused by an error in the script subprocess from /usr/bin/dpkg/, which did not accept upgraded versions of the system.
For my use case, the procedure in the following link was the solution:

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/solution-dpkg-error-processing-package-nvidia-l4t-bootloader-configure/208627

I’m writing this here, so that anybody else with the same problems can have a faster access to a (possible) solution.

1 Like