[Unitree A1] Integrate Unitree 4D LiDAR L1 on Unitree A1 for SLAM and obstacle avoidance

Hello Community,

I am relatively new to this technology, but I am very interested in it. I recently bought a used Unitree A1 at a good price. I have already checked the robot and tested all the functions using the Unitree app. Along with the robot, I received a 4D LiDAR from Unitree, but the sensor has never been integrated. I would like to do that now.

My goal is to use the SLAM function (via the app) and obstacle avoidance. I have done some research on this and read on different sites that the SLAM function with a 4D LiDAR might be too demanding for the built-in PC. The robot is an Explorer model, and the LiDAR has a TTI UART interface connected to a UART-to-USB converter.

My idea is to connect directly to the robot’s controller (ROS) and install the LiDAR via USB. Then the sensor data should be transferred to the Unitree app’s SLAM function. Is that correct?

Regards
Nico

Dear @Lee_13,

TL;DR Unitree app cant be used for custom functions including SLAM

It is possible to use the 4D LiDar from Unitree to perform Simultaneous Localization and Mapping as well as autonomous Navigation in ROS. However, the mobile app of Unitree is closed source and there is no access to it. At most you can make the web server on the robot and use your own custom app or web address connected to the robot’s server to interface with it.

This will work.

This won’t work, currently only the GO2 will work with the SLAM if you are replacing its inbuilt lidar (because it was designed for it), everything else including aliengo, a1, go1, h1 would require custom setup.

Cheers,
S. O. Sohail

Hello Mr. Sohail,

Thank you for your reply. I was considering that possibility as well. I ran some tests with an external Ubuntu 20.04 computer with ROS1 installed. I also connected the USB 4D Lidar to it and obtained some good results, so it was working. However, as your response confirms, the connection between the 4D Lidar → ROS1 → Unitree App wouldn’t work.

So, the SLAM function included in the Unitree App only works with the Slamtech Mapper (RPLIDAR M2M2), correct? From what I understand, this Lidar has an RJ45 connection and built-in logic, so if set up correctly, it should do the job.

Perhaps this is why the 4D Lidar was never integrated into the system.

Best regards,
Nico

Yes, this seems to be the case for the A1.

Do you think a Slamtech Mapper could achieve this? I’m considering selling the 4D Lidar (or keeping it for other projects) and purchasing a Slamtech Mapper (M2M2) instead.

I’ve been looking for information on how and which sensors can be integrated. In the “Unitree A1 Software Guide” available on your website, I found a reference in Chapter 5: External Sensors to a manual titled “The Manual about 2D-SLAM and Path Planning System Based Mapper.”

However, I couldn’t find a download for this document. Should I contact Unitree directly, or is this manual available through Mybotshop?

The only useful information I found was from this website:

https://jordan-unitree-a1-brl.notion.site/Unitree-A1-Contents-f0076430cfc04823b77227cf21c9138a

I think the issue would remain the same that you won’t be getting it in the mobile app of unitree A1. @Azib can you please confirm with Unitree?

I think it should work that way. I also saw some demonstrations on the YouTube channel ‘Physical Computing Lab by TechShare.’ They mounted the Slamtech Mapper onto the A1 and used the SLAM function from the app provided by Unitree.

Maybe I need to set up or configure the LIDAR on the A1 first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QsqXb_s7iE

It seems like Unitree’s custom app. I think you should contact Unitree in regards whether this app will be provided and if it would work with the Lidar.