Possible tapping/data leak on the MyBotShop purchase data?

So I have never been buying anything online for the last few months, until today when I decided to buy something from this website. And apparently, few hours after that, I got this message below, which redirects me to a very convincing DHL-like website.

Unfortunately for me, I totally fell for it as the website seems very convincing, and the listed amount doesn’t seem much. But fortunately my bank decided to do another check so I can see that they’d charge me for €200 (instead of €0.27).

So immediately I froze my card and requested for a new one.

Dear Sir or Madam,

thanks for your topic and I am very sorry for any inconveniences!

We will do all checkups again, but from our point of view, we don’t have any data leak. All information will be submitted via SSL transaction.

Moreover I would say, it is randomly SPAM, because they have pointed you to “DHL” which we don’t use as shipping company / option.

We are shipping all orders from Germany, therefore there is no need to pay any additional fees or taxes within Europe.

Nevertheless we will do a deep check immedietaly to be sure, there is no data protection issue - Thanks for letting us know and sorry for any inconveniences.

1 Like

Yeah putting it here just in case. There can be a lot of ways data leaks might occur with SSL, as various conditions need to be fulfilled to prevent a chance of a leak.

Moreover I would say, it is randomly SPAM, because they have pointed you to “DHL” which we don’t use as shipping company / option.

This might be true, but as I just experienced, I didn’t even realize/remember that MYBOTSHOP doesn’t have DHL as one of its shipping option. So all they need is the timing of the purchase & my phone number, and I’d be convinced “oh this is my purchase I just did a few hours ago”.

But yeah I definitely need to be more careful, so I put this here as a precautionary tale too.

Dear Sir or Madam,

thanks for letting us know! Highly appreciated!

We will double check everything, to make sure, they won’t have the phone no. “from us”

Wish you a nice evening :slight_smile: